Search This Blog

Friday, July 30, 2010

Freed Marlon King Eyes Football Comeback

Disgraced striker Marlon King could soon be back playing football after being released from prison, having served half his sentence for sexual assault and actual bodily harm.Skip related content

The 30-year-old served nine months for attacking a student in a London nightclub in December 2008, punching her in the face and breaking her nose.

Despite being sacked from Wigan after his conviction, his agent has said "a number of teams" are already lining up to sign the player.

He is being linked to Coventry City FC - but fans are divided on rumours of his arrival.

On the Coventry Mad website one user wrote: "Problem is now I think it would make our club look bad, he would be booed every time he touched the ball."

But another wrote: "I have absolutely no problem with Marlon King playing football for Coventry and think that if he's in shape and can play, AB (manager Aidy Boothroyd) should sign him."

King has been told he must remain on the Sex Offenders' Register for seven years but he is planning to appeal against the conviction.

He told Sky Sports News: "I have had time to sit down and analyse the situation, not just that I have put myself in but there are other people who have suffered as well.

"Not just family and friends but the club I played for. It's unfair that I have put them through that.

"I will always plead my innocence and I will do and fight this all the way."

King has 13 previous convictions, including for assault of a young woman who rejected his advances but rejects claims he has a problem with women.

"I have two daughters and a son, a wife, mother and sisters," he said.

"They know me best and know that I am not the person that has been painted in the public eye."

King would not be the first player to return to top flight football after a spell in prison.

In 2004 former West Bromwich Albion striker Lee Hughes was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving after killing a man in a car crash and fleeing the scene.

After serving three years in jail he was signed by Oldham Athletic before playing for Blackpool and Notts County.

He signed an extension to his contract with Notts County earlier this month and plans to stay with the side until the summer of 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment